The origins of our school go back a long way. In Fittleton, schooling had its beginnings with local benefactors such as Henry Clerk, who in 1712 left £5 a year to educate ten poor children and ten shillings a year for books. In 1717, Evelyn Buckenham left £50 “the interest from which was to teach poor children to read”.
In 1720, Reverend Roger Kaye gave land for a schoolteacher’s house to be built and he left £40, the interest to be used to maintain the buildings.
In Netheravon, Reverend Sydney Smith who was curate from 1794 to 1799 taught children to read and write during Sunday school. The first known reference to lessons at Enford occurs in the survey of Charities 1552, when it was mentioned that the Chantry Chaplain taught children in the Chapel.
In 1933 Parliament voted to aid the voluntary bodies. In 1870, Forster’s Education Act brought in elementary education for every child and provided for schools to be built from rates and taxes.